Many US universities require American students to participate in the health plan for study abroad programs. Individual students who does not wish to participate in the health plan offered by the US universities need to sign a waiver form. International health insurance plan cost approximately $1000 depending on coverage requirements by the universities. Your ISIC or StuCard provides basic sickness and accident coverage including emergency evacuation insurance, repatriation and accidental death or loss/use of limb(s) coverage.

If a U.S. citizen become seriously ill or injured abroad, a consular officer from the U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in locating appropriate medical services and If necessary, the consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility.

Some countries have public health care systems and don’t mandate that international students purchase insurance. Sweden, for example, allows international students staying for a year or longer to receive public health benefits simply by registering with the Swedish Tax Agency.

Medications prescribed in one country may be illegal in another. Students should contact embassies or consulates to find out if certain medications can be legally used abroad, per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Before leaving home, students should obtain a signed prescription that contains both the medication’s generic and brand names. Students should also get a letter from their doctor explaining the medical need for their prescriptions as well as the recommended dosages, particularly for injectable medications or controlled substances.
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests international students pack some items that can be purchased without a prescription, such as antacids, mild laxatives and pain relievers, for trips to many destinations.

It is imperative to consult with a medical professional in USA who can help students determine what vaccines they will need based on where they are going, what they will be doing and any preexisting health conditions.